– Finnsheep mature earlier than most other breeds
– Finnsheep ewes naturally cycle out of season
– Finnsheep ewes naturally produce larger litters (2-3/litter) than competitive breeds
without flushing for increased ovulation rates.
– Quality Finnsheep possess better wool traits than other breeds known for high
reproductive abilities allowing farmers to shear a premium, saleable wool clip.
– The single coated Finnsheep fleece possesses better crimp, luster and handle than all
other short-tailed breeds, allowing a much more diverse use of the wool by a larger
variety of markets.
– The docile, friendly temperament of the Finnsheep makes them one of the easiest
sheep breeds to safely work with (children, adults and seniors).
– The Finnsheep is a polled breed, providing additional safety for handlers, preventing
the sheep from getting their horns stuck in fencing and eliminating the risk of
infections or infestations of the horn.
– The naturally short tails of the Finnsheep require no docking
– The Finnsheep crosses well with most other breeds, improving wool, temperament
and production traits in the cross-bred flock
– Scrapie resistant genetics are available within the Finnsheep breed.
– Finnsheep ewes possess excellent mothering abilities
– Finnsheep ewes receiving proper nutrition produce an abundant supply of milk for
typical Finnsheep litters (2-3 lambs/litter).
– Finnsheep meats are leaner as Finnsheep deposit fat around their organs, not
throughout their muscle tissue, providing a healthier meat for the consumer.
Leave a Reply